Re: dist-upgrade problem

Zach wrote:

> On 7/8/07, Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Zach,
>> It might be a better idea to run aptitude (or apt-get) upgrade rather
>> than dist-upgrade as a matter of routine. I think you will avoid these
>> kinds of problems this way.
>> Cheers,
>> Jonathan
>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Ok, I'm curious though 1) why it wants to install all the texlive-*
> packages when I don't even have texlive installed and 2) how i could
> force it to not install these during the dist-upgrade?
>
> Zach
I think you can mark them as "hold" as in aptitude hold texlive.
I still don't know why you want to do a dist-upgrade rather than a simple
upgrade as a matter of routine. Have you tried doing just aptitude upgrade
and see if it still wants to install texlive? I would use dist-upgrade if I
were going from Etch to Lenny for example. dist-upgrade is more agressive
than upgrade about what it chooses to upgrade. Try reading the manual for a
better description than mine.
Cheers,
Jonathan