Re: backports

Hi mate

> Then I checked for 4B2B2B9E and got a match!
>
> $ gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring ~/downloads/debs/debian-keyring.gpg
> --check-sig 4B2B2B9E
> gpg: checking the trustdb
> gpg: public key 3C093EEF is 29789 seconds newer than the signature
> gpg: public key 3C093EEF is 29789 seconds newer than the signature
> gpg: public key 3C093EEF is 29789 seconds newer than the signature
> gpg: public key of ultimately trusted key ECB41FF5 not found
> gpg: 3 marginal(s) needed, 1 complete(s) needed, PGP trust model
> gpg: depth: 0  valid:   1  signed:   0  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 1u
> pub   1024D/4B2B2B9E 2004-06-20
> uid                  Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net>
> [...]
> sig!3        307D56ED 2004-09-18  Noèl Köthe <noel@debian.org>
> sig!3        9B7C328D 2005-03-30  Luk Claes <luk@debian.org>
> sig!3        4B2B2B9E 2004-06-20  Daniel Baumann
> <daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net>
> sig!3        4B2B2B9E 2004-06-20  Daniel Baumann
> [...]
> 1 bad signature
> 535 signatures not checked due to missing keys
>
> How well do you think I can trust this debian-keyring_2006.10.11_all.deb
> package?

If you really want to check that a certain key belongs to a Debian Developer,
you should check that the key is on keyring.debian.org. This one is always up
to date. Just use "gpg --keyserver keyring.debian.org --recv-key
$ID-TO-CHECK" . If you do not get a positive answer, then the key does not
belong to a DD.
(There might be some problems with emeritus developers, but they should be
minimal).

Please also note that for the backports.org archive, there might be some
uploaders, who are not a DD (yet), but in the NM process.

Cheers
Steffen