Re: grub

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:42:19PM +0000, bobsetch@comcast.net wrote:
> I'm still a linux newbie and I've gone from bad to worst. I used to have a
> working etch system but in an attempt to get my printer working I reinstalled
> etch several times and when it reboots it comes up in grub instead of the gnome
> desktop. Any ideas out there?
We need more info.

'grub' is a name of the boot loader and is a name of the program in
/usr/sbin/grub that updates the boot loader.

'gnome' is a desktop environment that normally uses gdm, gnome themes
and sawfish, or metacity window managers.

What I think you are saying is that you used to be able to login to the
gnome desktop with gdm, but now your x window system is not working and
your system is only showing a console login (a black screen).
If this is the case, you need to reconfigure X window and this will fix
the issue.

If any of this is wrong, please explain how.
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|