Re: why linux?

I tried both using the Debian installation and a live Kubuntu disc but the memory stick I have doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

Yet.  Eventually, what it "wants"  will be immaterial.

Thanks, however, for the suggestion

Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 01:45:32PM -0400, S C was heard to say:
> Using Ubuntu is a good idea too, in fact I have a live cd of Kubuntu and I also have Suse Linux 10.1 and 10.2. But, and this you could not possibly know, irreplaceable pictures digital pictures are on the hard drive and I will not jeopardize their existence for any reason. That means no installing anything new, at leat until I know a lot more about what I am doing.

You've probably already thought about this -- but *just in case*...

Could you use a live CD to access your hard drive in read-only mode and
copy those digital pictures onto some sort of USB storage? (USB stick,
hard drive, pile of burned CDs, etc) If you're just trying to get them off
the system before the hard drive gives up the ghost, that would be the
quickest and safest route I know. (hey, I just made some assumptions too,
cool)

Daniel