need typewriter-style quotes in LaTeX mode of emacs

While in LaTeX mode in XEmacs, I frequently have need for
typewriter-style double quotes ("), such as when I am in the verbatim
environment

But I do not know of a way to type the character without switching
from LaTeX mode to text mode.

I have found two work-arounds:

    (1) Use query-replace to replace any other character (such as a
    space) with " .

    (2) Once the document contains an instance of " , copy it and
    paste it wherever it is needed.

What I really need is a key combination such as ctrl-" (which currently
is undefined in XEmacs LaTeX mode) to produce the " character, but I
don't know how to define it.

RLH