How to Dual-Head? [Was: xrandr only shows one video card]

On 5/22/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 08:17:22PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> I don't really understand all the geek-speak from what I've been able
> to find, but it appears to me that xinerama has been deprecated in
> favor of xrandr. Only thing is, I can't figure out how to get xrandr
> ("X Rotate and Resize" seems to be the meaning of this name) working.
> >From what I've been able to ascertain, running the command "xrandr"
> should list all the video devices connected, but when I run it, all I
> see is the Intel device:

my reading of the manpage tells me that it shows you the X Screens as
opposed to the monitors. And it looks like you can set which "outputs"
to manipulate.

Thanks for the response.

So obviously, I'm clueless about how to get dual-head working now that
xinerama appears to be unusable (with the "i810/intel" driver update
which breaks it). Anyone have any pointers to documentation that might
get my dual-head working again?

Thanks!

--
Kent West