Re: xterm fonts

* Deboo ^ (knowledgeful@gmail.com) wrote:

> One more question is: how to get a font that is larger than 12x24? I
> remember having seen a nice SUN console font that was quite big. I
> want something similar. Which packages will install extra and bigger
> fonts for xterm or any other terminal for that matter, to use?

I use terminus, which is really very nice on the eyes, and can be
very large.  I run pxlsz (as reported in xfontsel) of 24, and it is
shown as available up to 32.  Actually, quite humongous really.   And
terminus is far and away the easiest on the eyes console font I have
ever used.

What I did was install xfonts-terminus via apt, and then opened the
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/fonts.alias file and added this to it:

ter-24 "-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal-*-24-240-72-72-c-120-iso8859-1"

Then I restarted X and that gave me ter-24 as a font, and I could
avoid using that long string in scripts and configs, i.e. .Xdefaults.
Instead I could add "xterm.font: ter-24" to that file and then I have
a good xterm font working.

> Regards,
> Deboo

Patrick