Re: Complete KDE crash (since last upadate)

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 20:12:49 +0200, kristian DOT mailinglists AT ewetel DOT net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a big problem sincen the update on Monday evening, 21.5.
> I use an aspire laptop with sid and kernel 2.6.20.
>
> When I tried to login at kdm after the update, after giving the user and
> pass, the kde welcome-screen comes up. The start window with the symbols
> showing what  loads at the moment stopped at the second one (I think
> "devices") for 30 seconds. After that I got my backround image (without
> desktop icons) and a grey bottom-bar (where normally the kde-taskbar is)
> and a moveable mouse cursor. Nothing more! No interaction possible. I
> installed fvwm to use my programs.
>
> I tried it several times, sometimes it hangs completely at the second
> symbol, blinking but nothing more.
>
> Is the reason a broken KDE, I have no explanation.
>
> The /var/log/kdm.log gave no help.

Depending on which mirror you use and which timezone you are in, "Monday
evening" might have been exactly the worst possible moment to do an
upgrade, right in the middle of the transition to the newest KDE
version. My guess is that you inadvertently installed a few KDE 3.5.7
packages and now your mix of 3.5.6 and 3.5.7 does not work anymore. You
can get an idea about KDE 3.5.7 packages on your system with

aptitude -F '%p%?v' search '~i~dkde' | awk '/4:3.5.7/ {print $1,$2}'

Your easiest way out is probably to complete the upgrade to 3.5.7. You
can check out the upgrading experiences of other people:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2007/05/msg00037.html

Most users obviously had no problems with the transition. (It also
worked fine for me.)

In any case it is a good idea to test your current KDE installation with
a new user first, as Anson Gardner has already suggested.

          Florian   |