Re: Changing screens

On 05/20/2007 01:38 PM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
Dear all

I've got a laptop (Apple PowerBook G4) that I use both at home and on the road (with Debian Etch installed). At home, the laptop is connected to an external screen, with the laptop closed (so, at home, I don't use the laptops own screen). The two screens have different resolutions (laptop screen: 1440 x 1024, external screen at home: 1280 x 1024).

The problem is that Debian uses the same screen resolution for both screens, wich I find annoying (it uses 1440 x 1024, which means that the image is larger than what fits on my external screen). How can I make Debain use the appropriate screen size? Do I have to set it manually or is there a way to adjust the screen size automatically?

Matthias

You can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that X only knows about the resolution(s) you want to use. The resolution is controlled by both the display depth and the list of allowed modes.

First, shutdown X windows: log into a virtual console as root and type '/etc/init.d/gdm stop" (assuming that your display manager is gdm--adjust to your environment). Copy your xorg.conf to a backup file, e.g. xorg.conf.bak.

Find your "DefaultDepth" in xorg.conf. Each display depth (8, 16, 24, ...) has its own section in the configuration file. Find the section for your depth and edit the list of allowable modes so that only "1280x1024" appears.

Save the modified xorg.conf and restart gdm (or kdm or xdm). The display should have the appropriate size.

Another option would be to have both "1440x1024" and "1280x1024" in the modes list and to use Control-Alt-Plus to switch between the modes.

I hope this helps.