Re: Get wirless working

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2007 11:39:21 +0100
yag <josec.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:

That's what I thought, but as it seems some people is having problems with this I better ask before actually dropping Ubuntu and adopting Debian for good. Isn't it just a matter of installing the ipw2200 module and compile the firmware source in the proper location? For I think we don't even have to fiddle with ieee80211, do we? And not even that would be a major problem, in my opinion.

I wasn't aware that the firmware source was available. I just download
the binary tarball and extract it to /lib/fireware. I have never had to
worry about ieee80211.

Probably I'm wrong, I just don't remember what was under what format out of the driver, the firmware and the ieee stack (I needed this last thing when installing some patches for the ipw to inject packets, long ago).

The thing is, I guess I can't do a netinstall using the wireless card as it won't be ready during installation, is this right?

I'm afraid so. You would need to use a conventional network card
(either built in or slotted in), and obviously one which is supported
by the installer.

Well, everything will do. I just want to leave, by whichever way I can, the under performing Feisty thing I'm in. Oh, of course, my bleeding edge crap doesn't allow me to properly burn .iso images...hey, but I have an amazing cube on my screen. Never more, I promise.

Just a thought, though. The "huge" wireless problem experienced by some users with Debian is, technically, inexistent. But the fact that this even made people to migrate somewhere else does highlight some other underlying issues. Communication, documentation, perhaps? I do find the Debian Installation guide an excellent document, but I wouldn't be surprised that it may hinder the beautiful sight of the forest with all those trees...