Re: Get wirless working

On Thu, 17 May 2007 11:39:21 +0100
yag <josec.rodriguez@gmail.com> wrote:

> Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
> > Whats' more, those modules are included in the standard kernel image
> > these days. The difference however is that Ubuntu packages the
> > firmware, whereas Debian does not. That is likely to confound the
> > uninitiated.
> >

> That's what I thought, but as it seems some people is having
> problems with this I better ask before actually dropping Ubuntu and
> adopting Debian for good. Isn't it just a matter of installing the
> ipw2200 module and compile the firmware source in the proper
> location? For I think we don't even have to fiddle with ieee80211,
> do we? And not even that would be a major problem, in my opinion.

I wasn't aware that the firmware source was available. I just download
the binary tarball and extract it to /lib/fireware. I have never had to
worry about ieee80211.

> The thing is, I guess I can't do a netinstall using the wireless
> card as it won't be ready during installation, is this right?

I'm afraid so. You would need to use a conventional network card
(either built in or slotted in), and obviously one which is supported
by the installer.

--

Liam