Re: creating a debian/etch over a xubuntu installation

Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
| On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 05:24:40PM +0200, mess-mate wrote:
| > Hi list,
| > i've a machine with xubuntu installed.
| > The machine have ONLY a hd partioned like this:
| > HD = 6000M
| > hda1= / = 5650M
| > hda2= swap = 50M
| > hda3 = 300M
| > I did a debootstrap on the hda3 partition and the etch base is there
| > installed.
| > Have to correct grub to boot etch on hda3, seems not a problem.
| > But after that how can i reinstall etch on hda1 ?
| > Maybe a second debootstrap ?
| > Thanks in advance for any suggestion
| > mess-mate
| I think you need a kernel for the hda3 and then setup grub.
| once you can boot to hda3, then you can erase and reformat hda1 and copy
| hda3 to hda1. Then you reconfigure it to boot from hda1. then you can
| make hda1 /(root).

Ok, setted-up with debootstrap a etch base system to /dev/hda3
(only'/')
Installed a kernel, grub and rebooted to my etch setup.
Runs as a charm :)
But.... how can i copy/move my etch base if i make different
partitions after deleting hda1 ?
/dev/hda1 = /boot
/dev/hda5 = /
dev/hda6 = /usr
etc...

Wihout loose data ?

mess-mate
--

What good is an obscenity trial except to popularize literature?
		-- Nero Wolfe, "The League of Frightened Men"