Network connections breaking after bootup

Etch was installed yesterday via netinst. Network appeared
to configure properly - software installation from mirror
went without a problem

The problem (sort of) goes like this:
I can boot the machine, and ping any nodes on my network.
I can ftp to another machine. Before long, I loose my network
connection - such as, open a ftp connection, upload something to
another machine (put), and when the ftp connection is closed, I lose
the network.
Now when I attempt to ping anything outside of this box,
such as on my local network, I get a "Destination Host Unreachable"
error. _or_ `ping' hangs and has to be aborted.

I can ping loopback by name and by address, and I can ping the
machine by its assigned I.P. address and by name.

resolv.conf shows the configuration as I put it in yesterday, for
search and dns servers.

interfaces reads as follows - less the auto comments, plus some
  comments that exist only in this email:
## ---------------------------------------------------------------
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
allow-hotplug eth0
iface etho inet static
	address 192.168.1.3
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0    ## auto-generated
        broadcast 192.168.1.255 ## auto-generated
	gateway 191.168.1.1
	dns-nameservers 12.6.42.1 12.6.42.2
	dns-search johnson.com
 Any and all help appreciated.