Re: installing etch on a ibm 8364 netvista

mess-mate <mess-mate@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> | mess-mate <mess-mate@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> |
> | > Hi list,
> | > i'd like to install etch on a the above machine...
> | > but, that machine have only a hd; no floppy-drive or cdrom.
> | > Xubuntu is installed on the hd and boot without any problem.
> | > Is there a way to replace xubuntu by etch ?? and how can i do
> that ? | > Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
> | > mess-mate
> |
> | debootstrap should do the trick.
> |
> Do you mean creating a debootstrap and when logging into, deleting
> the xubuntu system and then recreate new partitions and installing
> etch into ?
> (without the debootstrap of course)

Well I don't know your setup, but I know debootstrap was built to do
what you need. I think it is possible to setup etch directly onto a
fresh partition (if you have the space available) and then just point
grub/lilo to it. After everything is in place you can choose to remove
xubuntu.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)