Etch hangs when installed on vmware

All,

 I am not a newbie to installation. I have installed debian before in
vmware machines.
 I downloaded Etch (4.0r0) and started the installation.

 The first place where the hang started is when the kernel loaded.

 It became very slow when it was showing the message
"Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor
mode... Ok."
After long delay (30-40 seconds ! )this i get this message

"Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 3411.43 BogoMIPS
(lpj=6822875)"

After this step the kernel proceeds but is extemely slow till it reaches
a position when it prints

ENABLING IP-APIC IRQs

Thats it! from now on the kernel inches around every now and then and
it does not go till the setup screen at all !

Anyone has any idea on why this is happening. I just want some people
out there with vmware also to give me opinions if they faced this issue
before i can talk to the kernel guys !

--
Bhasker C V
Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)