Re: XFCE, and Gnome

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 01:30:13PM +0200, Joe Hart wrote:
> Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> > XFCE advertises itself as a fast window manager. But since both are based on
> > GTK, won't Gnome be equally fast? What is it that makes XFCE faster than
> > Gnome?
> >

> Good question.
>
> It used to be faster.  Today, I don't think it really is.  IceWM and
> Fluxbox are both better alternatives, IMO.

XFCE is considerably more lightweight than GNOME. It doesn't have
anywhere near the service load that gnome has, although it certainly
*can*. There are options to turn on or off both gnoma and kde services
-- useful if you run one or the other style of apps more frequently.

It is true that it is much heavier than say ice-wm or *box. It seems
to be getting heavier too, though its still pretty nice IMO.