Re: swap

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 05:35:59AM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 09:39:00AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 08:02:00PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > >
> > > except with the "subscribe" directive, now mutt doesn't show the
> > > "from" in the message tree, just the "to". So now the all say
> > > "To:debian-user..." so its either turn off the "subscribe" or  learn
> > > how to restructure that tree. ... hmmm... time to learn more ;)
> >
> > I don't have either in my muttrc and I don't have any problems ...
> >
> Could it be that those are meant to force mutt to deal properly with
> boken mailig list?  That is, lists that don't include appropriate list
> headers?

probably. I'm sure you've all read the man page by now, but (paraphrasing)

subscribe includes a "follow-up-to" header with the lists address so
that anyone who replies to the message will send it to the list
instead of to you.

lists does the above but also includes your address so that you will
get a copy too. This is useful for posting to a list that you are not
subscribed to as you'll get the response.

and as regards the "To: debian-user..." in the index view:

the index_format key controls the look of the index.

it defaults to " ... %-15.15L ... " where 'L' means -- show who its
from, unless its to a list, then show the list. This must be useful if
you don't sort out your mail into different folders for lists. If you
do (like me) and want to actually see who the mail is from (if for
example, your trying to ignore the list ethicist for the day) then
change the index_format to " ... %-15.15F ... " so that it always
shows the "From" instead. I leave it to you to read the fine manual
for the rest of the string.