Re: nfs username and passwd does not work on tty1, tty2, tty3

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 12:39:09PM +0530, Arvind Marathe wrote:
> Hi all,
> i have a debian etch system, which is a nfs client machine. Since yesterday, i
> am not able to login using my nfs username and passwd on tty1, tty2, tty3 etc.

"nfs username" ? I suspect you mean NIS username?

> It gives the error: "checkpassword: wrong password." It accepts root passwd on
> these. However i can login to xdm (runlevel:5, tty7) using nfs username and
> passwd. Why is this happening? (Could these be some problem with fgetty?)

As far as I can see from "apt-cache show fgetty", it only supports
authentication against /etc/passwd - i.e. against the local machine.
Hence root would work but non-local users would not.

Was fgetty installed yesterday by any chance?

> ps: Please also include my mail id in the reply as am not subscribed
> to the list

Done. For now. It is considered good netiquette to subscribe before
posting. Otherwise you might miss out on the reply ...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/