Re: (solved)Re: why these files can't be displayed properly by gv

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 08:09 +0200, Joe Hart wrote:
> Serena Cantor wrote:
> > Thank you for your efforts!
> > I convert it to pdf with ps2pdf, then open it with Adobe Reader of Windows, it's fine.
> > --- Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> >> It doesn't display properly in a few viewers I used to display it. It
> >> might be that it is in "booklet" format. Which means two facing pages
> >> per landscape page.
> >>
> >> I did:
> >> wget http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/docs/unix-tutorials/courses/unix.ps
> >> ps2pdf unix.ps
> >>
> >> Opened it in doc-viewer (evince) and it opened just fine.
> >>
> >> Again, multiple viewers I used, 6 in total that are supposed to be able
> >> to look at .ps files easily, not one could properly render it past the
> >> first 3 characters. In the middle of the lefthand side, "An I" is all I
> >> got to see.
>
> A shame that one has to keep 6 viewers on their system.  You'd think one
> or two would be enough.

No, I don't keep 6 viewers on my system. I have the luxury of running a
Linux distribution called "Debian". It allows me to install use and
remove packages very easily. I really believe it is the "shizzle for my
izzle" as I can do nearly anything I want without having to compile or
convert these packages. I don't have to worry about dependency issues or
anything of the like.

That said, I can also remove the packages just as easily. Which I did.

> >> My guess, the landscape format is killing it. Plus the file is 14 years
> >> old, back then postscript was slightly different than it is now.
>
> You're probably right.

I hope so.

Of course, you really need to switch to Debian Linux. (-;
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05