Re: Since chvt works, the problem must be the keymap

Florian Kulzer wrote:

I think I understand now why it did not work: There is more to this
keysym business than what meets the eye ...  [snipped very informative explanation]

Great work, Florian! I always find it fascinating when I get a glimpse into how something works "under the covers".

FWIW, I can confirm I have no 'uk' symbols file in the directory you quoted. I can only imagine that one existed when I first installed Debian on this machine (which would have been just after the Sarge release IIRC), and it has since been replaced by the 'gb' one. I'm just guessing though.

Thanks again,

Dave.