Re: Etch back to Sarge

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 14:39, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 09:28:30PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 20:32:06 +0200, bigoperm wrote:
> > > Doug,
> > > I figured I'd get thie question :-) After my upgrade to Etch, my
> > > network card no longer works (it's a Xircom PCMCIA card (cardbus)).
> > > I've searched the message boards for solutions, but can't find anything
> > > that solves my problem. Unfortunately, I don't have time to figure out
> > > what's wrong, I just need my machine to work. Downgrading back to Sarge
> > > seems like the best option.

Well, you could downgrade...

But my suspicion is that if you change your kernel to the i486 for Etch, you
problem may be solved. I could find no documentation on this either, but I
had it with my Thinkpad 600 and cardbus NIC, and it took me days to figure it
out. It just wasn't being seen. The i486 kernel, for whatever reason, found
it.

  aptitude install linux-image-486

But, if that doesn't work, a system downgrade can be accomplished. Modify your
sources.list for sarge sources, then google 'apt-pin' and learn how to 'pin'
sarge or oldstable packages. Not easy. Not fun. Try to remove unnecessary
packages before you do it.

More info here:
http://matthewpoer.freehostia.com/wordpress/index.php/computers-technology/abandon-ship-give-me-back-my-dapper-drake

--
Please do not use HTML mail for fully-textual messages.
Matthew K Poer <matthewpoer@gmail.com>