Joining an Etch AMD64 Samba server to an existing Windows2003 Domain

I?m hoping someone can give me a clue what I am doing wrong here,
Running Etch (AMD64), I followed the samba wiki at:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Active_Directory#Prerequisites.
I get mostly good results, except when I try to run ?getent passwd? or
?getent group? only local users/groups are listed.

I was able to join the domain: net ads join ?U admin_user
The system shows up in AD under computers on the PDC.
Afterwards if I do wbinfo ?u, wbinfo ?g, wbinfo ?p, wbinfo ?t, wbinfo ?a
ad_user%password - All of those appear to work correctly.

This however seems somewhat fishy, it says ?Active Directory: No?:

?wbinfo -D domain.com?
Name              : DOMAIN
Alt_Name          : DOMAIN.COM
SID               : S-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Active Directory  : No
Native            : No
Primary           : Yes
Sequence          : 2008

My nsswitch.conf looks correct:
passwd: files winbind
shadow: files winbind
group: files winbind
hosts: files dns wins

Anyone have some idea of what I am doing wrong? Or where I should start
looking? The log info for Winbind looks acceptable with no blatant errors as
far as I can tell.

-Jeff