Re: Where's /dev/lp0 gone in Etch?

jjgnu@hotmail.com writes:

> I just installed Etch on i386 (previously used Sarge). My printer,
> on the parallel port, has stopped working. I'm using LPRng with a
> custom print filter that sends lpd output to /dev/lp0. Unfortunately
> there is no longer any /dev/lp0, despite parport and parport_pc
> modules being loaded.

Etch now uses udev to dynamically create devices. The device for your
printer isn't going to appear until it is powered up and connected.

If you printer *is* powered up and connected, then perhaps it is now
on a different device. Check /var/log/messages, /usr/share/doc/udev,
and the etch release notes for ideas on what that new device might be
(or how to troubleshoot).