Re: incorrect times displayed

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:40:52 -0500, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> replied:

> Also do 'sudo hwclock -r --utc' and 'sudo hwclock -r --localtime' and
> post the results.

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 14:35:53 -0400, I replied:

> Each gave the same output (to stderr)
>   select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

On searching for that error message, I did get two hits:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing/2006/10/msg00005.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing/2006/09/msg00000.html

The second implicates VMware, so it may be relevant that I just today
installed VMware Server 1.0.2 for the first time.  I'm not sure, but that may
be when the problem started.  I tried rebooting without the init.d scripts
httpd.vmware and vmware, but that didn't fix anything.  I still get the wrong
date, and hwclock still times out.