Re: Replicate installed packages to new system

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 11:46:28AM -0700, Jeff D wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Michael Pobega wrote:

> >On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 06:21:08PM -0000, McNamee, John wrote:
> >>I've been evaluating Etch for several months on a test machine, and now
> >>I'd like to install it on a production server.  What's the best way to
> >>get the list of packages installed on the test system, and then
> >>re-install those packages on the new system?
> >>
> >>--John
> >>

> >Well there's loads of ways you can do it.
> >
> >aptitude search "~i" will give you a list of your installed packages.
> >This will probably be a lot though, and will take a long time to install
> >them on the other computer.
> >
> >You can always see what's hanging out in your /var/cache/apt/archives/
> >folder though, and install those with dpkg.
> >
> >Maybe some of the more experienced people here can give you better tips
> >than me though.
> >

> on first sytsem:
> dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt
> on new base install:
> copy over selections.txt
> dpkg --set-selections < selections.txt
> dselect update
> apt-get dselect-upgrade
This is one of the prefered way but debian doesn't afaik have a way to
include such info as your currect configurations. So this will install
the packages but then you have to answer the debconf questions and then
do the final configurations to files in /etc or elsewhere.
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|