Re: OT: Linux Interview Questions

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 17:24 +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> Scribit Michelle Konzack dies 27/03/2007 hora 16:54:
> > > "What is the best desktop-environment and/or window-manager to be
> > > put on a server?"
> > Realy good question...
> >        ...since I have NO monitors attached to my arround 160 Servers!
>
> That's a shame. There are some slick rackable displays, you know. I saw
> one in a datacenter in Paris. It was foldable so you could slide it back
> in it's rack, and had a  KVM so you could plug it to 8 servers, IIRC.
>
> It looked like RPD 115{1,8} (see <http://www.elexis.fr/page000100db.html>).

I recently had to work on a cluster of 5 racks. Only 1 monitor per rack.
41 1U machines.

The IBM machines and rack had a chain setup so that you could push a
single button on a machine and you would have the console display on the
1U LCD monitor with keyboard tray (and touchpad, blah who needs that for
a linux server?)

I was simply impressed. Used to be the KVM switch(es) had to be hidden
in 0U rack side storage along with the power distribution.

Now a day, with USB ports on the front and various other display
possibilities you can roll up a USB keyboard and a serial USB console
setup and be good to go.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup