Re: How to compile

On Tue ... you wrote....

> I have an AMD64 box and I was looking to install the AMD64 Etch port.
> Only problem with that is that I want either Gnome or preferably KDE
>to go with it, and that port doesn't include those environments.

... later you wrote in answer to this....
> > I'm running etch-amd64 as I type this in kmail.. ;)
>
> Do you mean you have KDE in Etch AMD64?

I'm not too sure I understand the first part, with it's implied
'problem'.
I have an AMD64 machine, ... I have installed, and have running Etch (in
64 bit mode) and also have KDE and GNOME desktops (and packages)
installed.  (I'm in Gnome now as I type this) I did have some
difficulties with the new BIOS on the machine and how it was
interrogating the SATA with SMART, and also with getting the full GLX 3d
acceleration to work with my NVIDIA chipset.... <BUT> ....they are not
what I believe you are seeing as the 'problem'.
I didn't have any problems getting Gnome and KDE to install and work.
What 'problem' are you anticipating?  From my experience they both work
fine (albeit the new NVIDIA driver upsets KDE colours if you switch
between them... but that again is not a fault of the kernel (AFAIK).

Ian