getmail configuration (How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup)

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 09:38 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> I'm not much of an expert, but here's an excerpt from the getmail FAQ:
>
> > Why did you write getmail? Why not just use fetchmail?
> >
> >    Short answer: ... well, the short answer is mostly unprintable. The long
> >    answer is ... well, long:
> >
> >    I do not like some of the design choices which were made with fetchmail.
> >    getmail does things a little differently, and for my purposes, better. In
> >    addition, most people find getmail easier to configure and use than
> >    fetchmail. Perhaps most importantly, getmail goes to great lengths to
> >    ensure that mail is never lost, while fetchmail (in its default
> >    configuration) frequently loses mail, causes mail loops, bounces
> >    legitimate messages, and causes many other problems.
> >    The fetchmail authors' boneheaded decision to create a configuration-file
> >    GUI editor (rather than actually giving fetchmail a sane configuration
> >    syntax) also came back to bite them in the ass: in October 2005, it became
> >    known that fetchmailconf created its files in such a way that users'
> >    passwords could be read during file creation.
> >
> >    But don't just take my word for it; see
> >    http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200102172349.QAA11724 and
> >    http://esr.1accesshost.com/.
> >
> >    getmail users have not had to worry about any of these security holes or
> >    design and implementation errors.
>
> Now again, I'm not an expert, and I basically was just impressed by all
> these words :). But getmail certainly is easy to configure, and I've
> never had any problems with it.

Hmm.  I'm impressed too.  So I looked at the configuration information
online and am impressed with that too.  And looked at fetchmailconf and
was, uh, not impressed (and never have been, although it /has/ always
worked).  So I want to use getmail.  But I'm confused about something:

fetchmail (as far as I can tell) does not deliver to my ~/.Maildir
directory directly, but rather to the Postfix server that is running.
All I can find in fetchmailconf is "Forwarding options | Listeners to
forward to: localhost".  I can not find anything in fetchmailrc about a
destination for mail.  Here is my fetchmailrc:

# Configuration created Mon Nov 13 15:29:47 2006 by fetchmailconf 1.52
$Revision: 4740 $
set postmaster "owenh"
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 120
poll pop.gmail.com with proto POP3 auth password
       user 'owenh000' there with password '***' is 'owenh' here options
fetchall ssl sslcertck sslcertpath '/etc/ssl/certs'
 postconnect 'imapfilter'

My mail is in ~/.Maildir, accessed by dovecot-imapd, delived to by
postfix.  How can I configure getmail to deliver mail through postfix or
dovecot?  I don't know what fetchmail does, but I don't think it
delivers directly to ~/.Maildir.  Also, I haven't ever had problems with
fetchmail configured this way.  Debian Etch.