Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

Hello Roberto.

Roberto C. Sanchez, 13.03.2007 00:06:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 11:34:48PM +0100, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> I would certainly trust XFS.  Of course, if you don't have your machine
> on an UPS, it can cause problems on a crash or power outage.  How are
> your video files being used?  Played locally?  Streamed to one or two
> devices?  Streamed to hundreds of devices?

Only played locally and sometimes distributed and seldom streamed over a local
network.

> Unless you are streaming to many devices, it is likely that you are not
> yet hitting a bottleneck.  As they say, "if it ain't broke."  That said,
> do you notice a particular performance problem?

Not really but it could have been that I am missing a performance boost only
because I never really tried other filesystems.

>>> XFS supports files up to a size of 8
>>> exabytes and filesystems also of size 8 exabytes.  I am not sure of the
>>> limitations on JFS.
>> OK, that seems only important for enterprise levels. I don???t think that I will
>> reach these sizes at the moment.
>>
> I read on Slashdot a while back that Seagate announced 37.5 TB drives
> will be available in a few years.

Ouch. I’m thinking about getting a 750GB Seagate at the moment if only the prize
gets a bit lower.

> Petabyte-sized home RAIDs won't be
> far off :-)

What I cannot really imagine at the moment might be true in a few years. Let’s
see what the glory future brings.

Regards, Mathias

--
debian/rules