Re: ACL support via NFS

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 16:17:30 +0000, Marco De Vitis wrote:
> On 09/03/2007 17:00, Marco De Vitis wrote:
>
> >I'll now see if I can make it by installing the more recent rsync from
> >backports, it's just one version behind the Etch one.
>
> Sigh! Also the 2.6.8 version from backports does not support ACLs.
> I then built and installed 2.6.9 on Sarge from sources (although the
> changelog between 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 only shows diffs regarding ACLs for
> developers), and... it still does not support ACLs! Now I'm really
> puzzled, as Etch has the same version and it supports ACLs.

I don't know any details, but from a quick grep through the Debian
changelog in Sid I get the impression that there might be an additional
ACL patch that you have to apply if you compile yourself. Here are the
parts that mention ACL patches:

-----------

rsync (2.6.9-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * Applied patch from upstream to fix problem
    with --acl together with --delete
    (see http://lists.samba.org/archiv:ee/rsync/2006-November/016706.html)

[...]

rsync (2.6.9-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream release.

  [...]

  * Now includes the ACL patch.

[...]

rsync (2.6.9~pre3-1) experimental; urgency=low

  [...]

  * Applied ACL patch. Please test :-)

I hope this helps. (You did not mention if you built from the Debian or
from the upstream sources. I would expect that the newest Debian
sources have the second patch applied already.)

--
Regards,
          Florian