Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 11:06:41PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> > Public transit was known in only a few cities, mostly the bigger and
> > more densely populated.
>
> Like most people live in today, which is why I keep making that comparison.

Right, but those are (in the grand scheme of things) usually fairly new
cities which grew up after cars became popular.  So, the cities started
out small and wanted to attract people to drive into the downtown areas
to spend mony and/or work there.  Viola - the current situation.

> >> I like living in a region where it's nigh impossible to get a building
> >> permit in rural areas for anything other than agribusiness.  It's rather
> >> selfish of people to think we should have to pay higher taxes to maintain
> >> greater wear on rural roads, blight productive or scenic land and breathe
> >> more air pollution just so someone can have a super-long commute to the
> >> city instead of just taking a vacation.
> >>
> > Well, on this we are not in agreement :-)
>
> I take it you prefer endless suburbanization of rural areas?  If so, Los
> Angeles might be right for you...

Not really.  I prefer that people not be told what they can and can't do
with their property.  I understand that zoning is necessary.  However,
if you are so concerned about people building up the rural areas, you
are more than welcome to buy up rural property yourself and not let
anyone build on it.

Regards,

-Roberto

--