Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 01:41:57PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> > Yes, because the government is a model of efficiency.  Come on.  The
> > simplest stratedy is to not tax people so much and let them figure it
> > out for themselves.
>
> Fail.  That leaves about 7% of the population, almost 47 million people,
> without health coverage of any kind whatsoever.

The government's job is *not* to be a nanny.

> > We are not in agreement.  Collective, governmnet-run healthcare is a
> > necessity in Iraq because they currently lack a functioning market
> > economy.  We have one of those.
>
> Barely.  Since Bush came into office, Oregon has seen unemployed &
> discouraged rates approaching 25%.

Pardon me while I scoff.  I *definitely* have to see some credible
source citation for that before I believe it.

> > In fact, we have arguably one of the best in the world.  It would be a
> > colossal screw up to introduce socialized medicine here.
>
> That would be why Luxembourg and Norway have higher GDPs, right?

GDP:
Luxembourg - $34.18 billion
Norway - $296.01 billion
US - $13.22 trillion

Hmm, looks like US GDP is two to three orders of magnitude higher.  OK,
I will assume that you really meant per capita and forgot it.

GDP *per capita*:
Luxembourg - $80,288
Norway - $64,193
US - $44,333

All that shows is that a smaller economy can be made to operate more
efficiently.  Nothing more.

Regards,

-Roberto

--