Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 11:33:43PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> > Umm, prior to WWI and WWII we had an isolationist bent.  We waited for
> > the problem to get to us.  Personally, I am glad that Saddam was taken
> > out before he could do something foolish and plunge the whole Middle
> > East (and subsequently the *planet*) into war.
>
> If you support the war, prove it by joining the military.  Put up or shut
> up.

Silly boy.  I've been in the Air Force for 10 years.  I've been deployed
overseas five times.  What have you done for your country recently?
Besides, not everyone in the military supports the war, nor does
everyone who supports the war need to be in the military.  BTW, I joined
because I wanted to, not at gun point or by being drafted or under
duress of any sort.  I am also well educated.

I serve so that *you* and your liberal buddies don't have to and can
enjoy the luxury of debating these issues from the comfort of your
livingroom or bedroom.

> > The embargo against Cuba is an abberation.  It is primarily driven by
> > the very politically influential and financially powerful Cuban refugee
> > community in the US.  Trust me on this.  Any politician with any sort of
> > hopes in South Florida, has to be in favor of strengthening the embargo
> > before anything else.  Basically, the people who were forced to leave
> > Cuba are taking out their anger against Castro and the manifestation of
> > that is the embargo.
>
> Why are we letting people who came here on a floating door make our policy
> anyway?

Cubans, generally arrive on rafts made of various materials, not
necessarily doors :-)

The reason is because they come here *legally*, they work, they pay
taxes, they become citizens and they (get this) *vote* and participate
in government.  Any other brilliant questions?

> > BTW, the Republicans did not cut revenues, they cut tax rates, which has
> > an overall beneficial effect for the economy (even if it does cause
> > revenues to go down in the short term).
>
> Yeah, to the tune of $500,000/yr per job created.  Too bad almost all of
> those jobs ended up being poverty wage shit jobs.  Would have been nice if
> they came out and said that was their plan so everybody could clearly see
> how insane it was before voting...

Care to provide a citation?

Regards,

-Roberto