Re: accented chars. shown as question marks in non-browser tools, sarge

On Mar 08 2007, Arlie Stephens wrote:
> > 3. Make sure the relevant language fonts are installed.
>
> It looks like this is the problem. Not the fonts but the locales - the
> only locales I have are 'C' and 'POSIX', at least on the system I use
> most frequently.
>
> Interestingly, another sarge system reports
>
> $ set | grep LANG
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=en_US:en_GB:en
>
> The obvious difference between the two is that the second system was
> installed at sarge, whereas the first was unintentionally upgraded
> from woody. (Debian's installer kindly put 'stable' rather than
> 'sarge' in /etc/apt/sources.list, and havoc resulted when sarge became
> 'stable'.) I've got a third system that was upgraded from woody to
> sarge in a more controlled fashion, without having half of its
> packages randomly uninstalled by berserk dependency checks, but I
> can't check it remotely.

Just for completeness, in case anyone cares - the system that received
the 'controlled' upgrade from woody to sarge has the same symptoms as
the system that received the uncontrolled update from stable (woody)
to stable (sarge), unlike the system first installed at sarge.
Presumably the same fix will work there.

--
Arlie

(Arlie Stephens	                              arlie@worldash.org)