Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 12:25 -0500, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:

> >> Why shouldn't they?  How is "don't get that sick" a healthplan,
> >> outside of some neoconservative crackpipe dream?
> >>

> > Ummm.... Just what is their incentive?  A larger market share?  Faster
>
>     Providing for the welfare of the citizens?  That is, after all,
> a function of government.
>
> > response to sick patients?  The first is impossible as they already
> > have 100% of the market, the second already a problem they are aren't
> > responding to now.
> >

>     I've heard that the Canadian government is trying to address the
> delays in the system, which are, IIRC, mostly for elective procedures.
> I have no idea how well they're succeeding.
>
> -Chris

> |   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                      judd@wadsworth.org   |

Iguess you'll have show me how the government is efficient at anything.
If a person really needs help from  the government they have to lawyer
up to get help.  I've applied for just enough disability to get medical
help until I can find work, and guess what?  I cannot get anything
unless I lawyer up and sue.

Ever dealt with Workman's Comp?  Another instance of a government agency
that is supposed to help where the government has a legitimate
responsibility to help,  and you have lawyer up to get anything done.  A
friend of mine is basically bed-ridden because of pain from multiple
failed surgeries that were supposed to repair the results of an
on-the-job injury.  Know what?  He has to lawyer up to get anything done
and Workman's Comp fights him tooth and nail even though their own
doctors admit he is so crippled up and in so much pain he can't do
anything.

They want him to settle for something like $10,000.  This is the kind of
BS mentality that a government monopoly breeds, and it is anything but
helpful to those whom it was created to help.

Cases such as his and mine are the rule, not the exception.  But, a
person has to experience, not read about it to really understand how bad
things really are.