Re: Suggestions about the Debian install process

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 12:12:21PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:34:17PM +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> > Background: Installing Debian Testing with DVD 1 on a workstation.
> >
> > Why not install the following software by default?
> >
> Because Debian has a very minimal base install.  You can install all of
> these packages yourself.  I will give specific why reasons why they are
> not in the default.
<good reasons>

As Roberto says 'a very minimal base install'. This is because Debian
wants to be used in a wide variety of use-cases that include embedded
systems, linksys routers, etc. So a system with 32mb CF harddisk has no
need for say emacs. Also Debian is not focused on 'desktop', so no need
to have an all-in-one install disk, not that it couldn't. It also has a
'live' cd package.