Re: Mouse can disappear from screen

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 15:02 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 02:29:16PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Zoho Vignochi wrote:
> > > Also if I maximize a window, the edge of that window disappears a little
> > > as well. The amount is very small and so does not affect the working of
> > > the scrollbar but is still noticeable. Is this normal?
> >
> >     I believe so, yes.  A normal mouse pointer points up and left.  The
> > hotspot, the portion of the icon which is where your clicks land, is all that
> > the GUI worries about.  It is on the upper left side.  Since the borders stop
> > the mouse at the hot spot if you move your mouse to the upper or left sides of
> > the screen the hotspot gets there first so the rest of the graphic is still on
> > the screen.  On the bottom and right sides the hotspot is the last to hit the
> > edge so the graphic scrolls off.
> >
> >     I think the same goes for when you maximise windows but for slightly
> > different reasons.  What is off the edge of the screen is the graphical edge
> > of the window.  It's just a few pixels.  However since you're maximizing the
> > workspace inside that border and the border is pretty much meaningless when it
> > doesn't have to show you were the window ends (maximized, only one window to
> > show in the first place) it is pushed off the edge of the screen to give you
> > the maximum amount of space for the workspace of the window.
> >
> >     Make sense?
>
> I tend to agree with you except, I think what the OP is referring to
> might be a monitor that might not be adjusted properly. I've seen this
> several times with monitors that have looked fine in windows may be
> off center it mis-sized in debian. usually a few minutes tweaking the
> monitor itself fixes it right up.
>
> .02

I agree, and also the installation of the specific video card drivers
and software may help, at least nvidia allows to "soft-adjust" the
screen on the monitor. It is useful, and the only solution when the
system is dual-booted (and the screen is fine with the other OS).

--
Szia:
                        Nyizsa.

Click to receive credit card help and get out of debt fast
http://tags.bluebottle.com/fc/CAaCMPJkiZqooAIpx53MRZE5dKMokWjT/