Re: Wrong MB for Linux ???

Thomas H. George wrote:
Without research I purchased the ECS KA3 MVP motherboard AMD Athlon 64 AM2 combo from NewEgg.

This seems like a very nice MB in many respects but I have encountered two problems.

First, Standard CMOS Features does not list my dvdrw and cdrw drives. There are two ide headers on the board labeled ide1 and ide2 and I have two hard drives attached to ide1 and the dvdrw and cdrw drives attached to ide2. Only the hard drives are listed when I access BIOS Standard CMOS Features. On boot up the dvdrw and cdrw drives are shown as being at ODD0 and ODD1. Result: No entries in /dev for hdc and hdd so I can't mount these devices.

Second, there are two onboard LAN chipsets, Agere E13101 and Realtek 8100C. The kernel configuration for linux-source-2.6.18 includes an entry under onboard controllers for Realtek RTL-8129/8130/8139 which I have selected as module. With this choice dmesg reports:

   eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
   eth0: link down
   ADDRCONF (NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

Result: I can't reach the internet from this system.

Perhaps this is all my fault. If ODD0 and ODD1 are a new standard way of recognizing cd and dvd devices there may be a way other than from /dev entries to mount and use these drives. I have read Documentation/icd.txt and tried /DEV ./MAKEDEV hdc but this did not immediately solve my problem.

Also there may also be another setting needed to use the onboard lan chip sets which I do not understand.

I have and could install a pci ethernet card if I need to download additional programs.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or sources of information which would help me make this motherboard usable for Debian Linux.

Checking NewEgg for that board and the reviews, there's this one:

Cons: Not compatible with Linux. Very poor performance from the chipset. For instance, using an IDE drive slows down the computer so much that it cannot be used to play DVDs. Don't ever consider this board for using an IDE hard drive or for watching movies from the optical drive.

Also there was one that said to be sure to upgrade to the latest BIOS for the board.

Hugo