Still Can't Install Sarge/Etch (no route)

I apologize for pestering everyone, but I really don't want to abandon Debian for something this simple after having used it for so long.

My ISP requires registration of a MAC address through an HTML interface, which I do in Windows XP. They also require initializing the network with DHCP. When I try this in Debian, it doesn't work, though I have used Debian -many- years before last year.

I have tried to install sarge with the 3.1r5 "business card" netinst disc, and etch with the full netinst daily build disc from Mar. 4 '07. It detects my hardware fine, loads my modules fine, and configures with DHCP fine, but every mirror gives "Bad Mirror or No Repository" (I'm approximating that from memory; it's a blood-red screen), and trying to use wget from a side console on the installer gives "no route to host". The route command gives normal results: my own netmask goes to me, and the default is my gateway.

I had been able to install sarge on a box that was masqueraded through the XP box. That one used the network fine with a manual IP configuration of a private IP address. I hooked that one directly into the wall and reconfigured with dhcp, but again, it got everything fine...right IP number, broadcast, gateway, resolv.conf, but it couldn't get anywhere.

I tried SLAX Standard Edition live CD v5.1.8.1 and it gets onto the Internet with no configuration needed. I just installed Slackware 11.0 and (after I got it to figure out which interface was internal and which was external, which required nothing more than "dhcpcd eth1" for the moment) it gets onto the Internet fine with no further configuration of DHCP.

Please, does anyone have any ideas? I have pretty much demonstrated this is a problem with only the current Debian installer on my system, no matter which installer I try. Slackware doesn't impress me, RedHat is no longer free (as well as not impressing me), and Ubuntu is just...weird. Nothing else is really tripping my trigger. I want to use Debian, but first I have to be -able- to use it.

Thanks for your time.