Re: OT: Politics and other non-Debian ramblings

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:54:04 -0500
Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:

> On Monday 05 March 2007 09:36, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> was heard to
> say:
> > Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> > > [the United States] have never gone to war to expand our borders
> >
> > The Native Americans might disagree with you ....
>
> As would the Canadians, invaded in 1776 and 1812 unsuccessfully,
> Mexicans (~1840) who lost half of their country, Spanish (~1900) who
> lost Cuba and the Philippines, or Hawaiians who lost their entire
> nation.
>
> I wonder if the Germans would suggest West Berlin, as well as the
> continued military occupation of Japan.

How can you possibly claim that the occupation of West Berlin or Japan
is an example of the USA "going to war to expand our borders" ?! Japan
attacked us first, we retaliated by declaring war on them, and then
Germany declared war on us. Said occupations were the consequences of
our victories. Even if you believe that we decided to prolong the
occupation to somehow "expand our borders", and even if you believe
that we somehow provoked the war with Japan, it is still preposterous
to claim that we "[went] to war" in WWII to expand our borders.

Celejar