Re: How to get newer kdevelop in my etch installation ?

Markus.Grunwald@pruftechnik.com wrote:

> Great. So I have a bugfix for a problem that really drives us crazy here
> but it won't come into the etch distribution. As I see it, I have these
> possibilities:

Yeah! I can totally relate to your situation. Debian's insistence on
stability can hinder access to the latest packages.

I had similar problem with gfortran. gfortran is a free Fortran 90/95
compiler available from GNU compiler collection. It is included in gcc from
4.0 onwards. However, by the time Debian adopted to 4.0, the developers of
gfortran considered 4.0 to be obsolete and have released 4.1 + about to
release 4.2. Due to lack of manpower, no fixes were backported to 4.0. So
Debian for a long time had a fortran 90/95 compiler which is full of
bugs.....

> 4) Anything I didn't think of...

Is it possible to backport the fix to the version that is there in Etch. The
upstream author might not have time/interest in this. But as a user, if you
submit a patch, they would be happy to incorporate it.

hth
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi