aptitude and /etc/apt/apt.conf.d

Hello,

Does aptitude read /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/*? I have seen a few scripts
that seem to rely on that, yet it doesn't seem to be the case for me.

If I, for example,

  echo 'Aptitude::Recommends-Important "false";'>>\
     /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/recommends.conf

and try to install minicom, aptitude will try to also install lrzsz.
If I append the same string to /etc/apt/apt.conf, lrzsz (only being a
recommendation) will not be installed.
This works like that for me on both etch and sid. Is it something I am
doing or does aptitude really not read /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/*?

Thanks,
 --j