Re: Does debian support sata 750GB hard drive?

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 09:48:15AM -0600, Michael Kerwin wrote:
> I have built a Pentium core duo computer and can get debian to boot from the
> cd if it is an ide parallel drive but when I try it with a 750GB SATA drive
> it get to the point where it will try to boot from the cd rom and it can't.
> I saw that someone had a problem with this before. I am trying to boot with
> the debian 3.1r5 netinstall for i386. Has the Sata problem been fixed yet?

As far as I know SATA support wasn't included in the Kernel until
after Sarge became stable, so it was never included in Sarge's
repositories.

If you're trying to install Debian on a SATA disk your best bet is
Etch, installing Sarge would be way too much trouble (You'd probably
have to do a lot of work), and in a few months it will become old
stable anyway (With Etch being the new stable).