Re: Wrong MB for Linux ???

Thomas H. George wrote:
Without research I purchased the ECS KA3 MVP motherboard AMD Athlon 64 AM2 combo from NewEgg.

This seems like a very nice MB in many respects but I have encountered two problems.

First, Standard CMOS Features does not list my dvdrw and cdrw drives. There are two ide headers on the board labeled ide1 and ide2 and I have two hard drives attached to ide1 and the dvdrw and cdrw drives attached to ide2. Only the hard drives are listed when I access BIOS Standard CMOS Features. On boot up the dvdrw and cdrw drives are shown as being at ODD0 and ODD1. Result: No entries in /dev for hdc and hdd so I can't mount these devices.

No offence intended, but someone has to ask: are you sure the drive
jumpers are correct? If they aren't, behaviour is undefined, and a
complete failure to see either is a possibility. Does either drive
work alone? If you move the cable to ide1 are they seen by the BIOS?
If you move the other cable to ide2 can the BIOS see the hard drives?
Do the optical drives work if you use the cable from the hard drives?
Obviously there will be no boot like this, but we just want to see
where the trouble is.

I don't believe there will be a change to the IDE protocol now, so a
failure of the BIOS to see the drives points to jumpers, cable, one of
the drives or the MB ide2 channel. Another thought: is there a BIOS
entry to disable ide2?