Wrong MB for Linux ???

Without research I purchased the ECS KA3 MVP motherboard AMD Athlon 64 AM2 combo from NewEgg.

This seems like a very nice MB in many respects but I have encountered two problems.

First, Standard CMOS Features does not list my dvdrw and cdrw drives. There are two ide headers on the board labeled ide1 and ide2 and I have two hard drives attached to ide1 and the dvdrw and cdrw drives attached to ide2. Only the hard drives are listed when I access BIOS Standard CMOS Features. On boot up the dvdrw and cdrw drives are shown as being at ODD0 and ODD1. Result: No entries in /dev for hdc and hdd so I can't mount these devices.

Second, there are two onboard LAN chipsets, Agere E13101 and Realtek 8100C. The kernel configuration for linux-source-2.6.18 includes an entry under onboard controllers for Realtek RTL-8129/8130/8139 which I have selected as module. With this choice dmesg reports:

   eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
   eth0: link down
   ADDRCONF (NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

Result: I can't reach the internet from this system.

Perhaps this is all my fault. If ODD0 and ODD1 are a new standard way of recognizing cd and dvd devices there may be a way other than from /dev entries to mount and use these drives. I have read Documentation/icd.txt and tried /DEV ./MAKEDEV hdc but this did not immediately solve my problem.

Also there may also be another setting needed to use the onboard lan chip sets which I do not understand.

I have and could install a pci ethernet card if I need to download additional programs.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or sources of information which would help me make this motherboard usable for Debian Linux.

Tom George