sound recording

(please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed)

Hi all,

I'm trying to convert some old analog music recordings to CD format,
using my PC running Sarge. I've found some directions in a howto, buyed
a cable and plugged one side into the headphones output of my stereo,
the other one into the line-in input of the PC. This worked fine: I can
play my audio tapes on the stereo and hear them on the PC speakers. I
can also record them with arecord, cut tracks with sox and burn CDs with
cdrdao (I like command line tools).

The problem showed up when I tried to do the same thing with a videotape
(I just want to record the audio track, not the video). I plugged the
cable into the headphones output of the TV, but this time something
strange happens: the music plays fine on the PC speakers, but when I try
to record it, the recorded track (wav file) is disturbed by a constant
and annoying high-frequency whistle. I would think that arecord would
record the exact same sound I hear on the speakers, but it doesn't and I
have no idea why. Suspecting that some other signal was being recorded
alongside the TV output, I opened the mixer (Gnome menu -> multimedia ->
volume control) and muted all channels but Master, PCM and Line-in (I
don't know what PCM is, but I found experimentally that if I mute that,
the signal from line-in is muted too), but it didn't work, it was just
the same as before. I'm really puzzled.

Does anyone know what's happening and what should I do?

Thank you in advance
 Gerardo