Problem Installing 3.1r5 i386 (networking)

I've been using Debian for half a decade, but not within the past year or so and just got back to it recently. My current setup is an XP box with masquerading (ICS) and 3.1r5 installed on another box, configured with static IP. Works great.

Now I'm trying to set up a dual-boot on the main box but I can't get Debian to connect to the network properly like it always could before. The installer configures itself with DHCP fine: it has an appropriate IP address, broadcast address, and gateway address, and /etc/resolv.conf is also appropriate. But it times out when trying to resolve names, and it times out when trying to connect to anything by any protocol I've tried even by direct IP address.

I also tried putting my primary NIC in the second box, sticking it on my ISP interface, and reconfiguring it to work with DHCP, but I get the same problem. It configures with DHCP, but it can't get out to the network at all.

The network does function perfectly fine on the XP box, and I tried the SLAX live disc which also works perfectly fine with no configuration of any kind. It boots, and it works. There is nothing special, odd, or unusual in any way with any of my setup. And my ISP refuses to allow me to connect without using DHCP.

I'm just using straight-up 10-base-T Ethernet cards plugged into the wall. Any ideas?