Sarge on Compaq Proliant 1850R with PCI video card

All,

I have several Compaq Proliant 1850R servers that have add-on Matrox PCI video cards. Sarge installs with no problems, but the servers completely lock up (power cycle required) when attempting to start X. If I remove the PCI video cards, X starts, but the on board ATI video card can only display at 640x480. I have tried other PCI video cards (S3), all with the same result. Also, if I press the Caps Lock, Num Lock, keypad buttons, etc. the server totally locks up. Has anyone else run into this problem before? Please CC me in your reply, because I didn't subscribe to this list.

Trey