Re: configuring fetchmail, exim and mutt for remote access

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:21:33 -0500
"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 01:20:06PM -0800, Peter Easthope wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:48:09PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

[snip]

> > fetchmail sends messages to port 25 via SMTP whereas
> > mutt wants to read messages in /var/mail/peter.
> > Isn't exim needed to send the port 25 stream into
> > the spool file?
> >
> I don't think so.  I think fetchmail can be configured to deliver
> directly.  If not, seting up for local delivery in exim is a simple
> dpkg-reconfigure away.

Getmail can deliver directly.

> > > As I said, exim is probably overkill.
> >
> > Messages need to be sent also.  Isn't exim needed
> > to send messages to P via SMTP?
> >
> Possibly.  You can use ssmtp.  For exim, however, you will need to wait
> for someone else on the list to help you out.  I don't know a thing
> about it, as I use postfix on all my machines.

Check out the (virtual) package 'mail-transport-agent' and you'll see
lots and lots of MTA's (see the list of packages that provide 'm-t-a'
and the list of those that conflict with it).

Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg
A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator