Re: PS/2 - USB Adaptor for keyboard

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 16:47:05 +0200
Atis <atis@BEST.eu.org> wrote:

> > > Agreed, there are no electronics, however AFAIK USB and PS/2 are
> > > different protocols - so they cannot be just swapped by using an
> > > adapter. (PS/2 and AT could). There is a trick that USB mice's detects
> > > where-im-plugged-into and adjusts protocol/wiring. With PS/2->USB its
> > > worse, as PS/2 devices aren't generally made to adjust protocol and
> > > switch to USB.
> >
> > But these things are advertised as enabling one to do exactly what I
> > want - to use a PS/2 keyboard on a system without a PS/2 port.
>
> Well, usually it's said under with little letters, that you need
> hardware that supports it. PS/2 have really simple interface - it has
> CLOCK and DATA pins, however USB is more advanced and don't have
> CLOCK, just two kinds of DATA, naturally CLOCK isn't in USB spec so no
> PC motherboard should support anything like that. (see links)
>
> Mhm, googling a bit showed that there are actually 2 types of those
> adapters. One that is just plain re-wiring of PS2 to USB, hoping that
> device will support USB, another seems to actually have electronics
> inside, and actually doing conversion of signals. I would say that it
> should work for you (although no guarantees ;)
>
> Links:
> http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
> http://pinouts.ru/Inputs/PS2Mouse_pinout.shtml
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=776087&CatId=469
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1219599&CatId=469

Thanks very much for the info - I had googled but couldn't quite nail
down that their are two types. I suppose that you get what you pay for,
and that my cheap little thing just hopes that my keyboard supports USB
and just needs a converter. Oh, well.

Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg, a Simple Sudoku Solver
and Generator